Sunday, August 24, 2008

The face of a professional clown

Have you ever met someone who seems to have been born to be a professional clown? I did, just recently in fact. This woman has a face perfectly suited to that profession. Her eyelids turn down at the outer corners. As a result, she looks as if she's ready to burst into tears, which coupled with a gentle but perpetual frown, only serves to strengthen the impression. Even when she smiles or laughs, which she seldom does, she looks as if she's about to cry. I can easily imagine her wearing that clown makeup: the exaggerated smile, the painted tear drops rolling down her cheeks. The old cliche says that clowns are laughing on the outside and crying on the inside. She seems to fit that old saw perfectly.

In no way is this meant as a criticism of this person who has been very nice to me. Rather it's to point out that I'm endlessly fascinated by people, and she is an interesting person I've met recently. I'm looking forward to getting to know her better and learning why she seems so sad. Or maybe she's not, and I'm totally misreading things. We'll see.

For now, good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I work in health care, love books, love music, enjoy the internet, my friends, and my routine. 8-)