Friday, May 15, 2009

I am a Christiam

I am a Christian. There, I've said something somewhat politically incorrect in polite society. I can talk about going to church on Sunday and try to behave as my faith tells me I should. But to say it out loud causes most folks to either look away or change the subject. I venture to say that's because the fundamentalist branch of Christianity has hijacked the discussion. Sorry folks, the Bible is not the literal word of God. For the most part it is allegory and parable.

So if the Bible is mostly allegory and parable you have every right to ask how I can believe in Christ's resurrection? My response is that of the original 12 disciples ten are believed to have died as martyrs. Many people, including our current vets in Iraq and Afghanistan, are willing to die for a truth they believe in. How many people do you know who would be willing to die for a lie?

The foundation of the Christian faith is the triune God: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I admit to having a problem with that. Being very much inner directed I'm comfortable with the Holy Spirit, but the Father and the Son have always seemed somewhat distant. That's why I'm recommending the book The Shack by Wm Paul Young. The book is fiction, but it brought me closer to the realization that Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are one, now and forever. So here's the link at http://theshackbook.com

Not all Christians, including me, have our beliefs written in stone. I am a seeker. My faith is strong, but that does not mean that you may not challenge my faith. I welcome it.

For now, good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I work in health care, love books, love music, enjoy the internet, my friends, and my routine. 8-)