Sunday, September 16, 2007

More on VBOB

As promised, although delayed because it's been busy as hell at work, here is more about the most recent VBOB meeting. At the conclusion of the meeting we were invited to the local military history museum. Of course my buddy Doug and I jumped at the chance. For me, the most affecting display was the military weapons room. There I saw the exact Japanese rifle my dad had hanging on the wall of our basement right down to the bolt action, the pop up gun sight, and the gun stock. I was both glad and sad to see it. Glad because it was just as I remembered it although my dad refused to give any but the barest details of his service in the Pacific. Sad because my dad didn't live long enough to open up at least a little about his experiences. But the museum is much more than that. It chronicles the history of our local troops from the Spanish American War through the current wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. As Doug said, "It's like a mini Smithsonian!" I could not agree more.

If you are fortunate enough to have a museum such as this in your area, I encourage yo to go. It's an experience you won't forget. For now ... good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I work in health care, love books, love music, enjoy the internet, my friends, and my routine. 8-)